Once you have decided to become a member/owner, all you need to do is:
- Review the Member/Owner agreement.
- Fill out the Member/Owner information form and submit it.
- Choose the payment option that works best for you. (By LMCU direct transfer, Check, Paypal, or Credit Card)
Prior to becoming a member, GRFCI is required to advise each prospective member of the following rights and restrictions on membership and member equity. Please read this over carefully before filling out the Member/Owner application.
- Grand Rapids Food Co-op Inititative is subject to the Michigan Nonprofit Corporation Act, as amended (PA 162 of 1982; MCLA 450.2101 et seq.). GRFCI is organized under the Consumer Cooperative Act, which is Chapter 11 of the Michigan Nonprofit Corporation Act, as amended.
- The purpose of membership in GRFCI is to assure access to the goods, services, and facilities of the cooperative, not to gain profit. Membership is defined as a household of people living under one roof and each membership has one vote.
- Members are entitled to vote for the Board of Directors, receive notice of and to attend special meetings and vote on issues put before the membership as stated in section 6.3 of the Bylaws. Members may also run for the Board of Directors as stated in section 8.6.
- Membership in GRFCI is open to all regardless of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, or disability. A requirement of membership at GRFCI is payment of member/owner equity share in an amount determined by the Board of Directors. Currently that amount is $250. Low income and fixed income memberships are also available. (Bylaws Section 6.2)
- Membership in GRFCI may be terminated by resignation, failure to pay member capital, decision of the Board of Directors, or death. Upon termination of membership, member capital will be redeemed within 5 years upon written request. (Bylaws Section 6.5)
- A member's membership and the member equity share paid by a member is not transferable. (Bylaws Section 6.6)
- Members have the right to call special meetings and cause referenda on issues of concern to them. (Bylaws Sections 7.4, 7.6-8) Members also have the right to receive annual reports and to secure other material information concerning the cooperative. (Bylaws Sections 10.5-6) No member is personally liable for paying any losses suffered by the Co-op. (Bylaws Section 10.8)
- As with any investment, your membership share is subject to risk. If the Co-op is unsuccessful, the Board of Directors will determine distribution of remaining assets. Every effort will be made to refund the paid portion of your member/owner equity share.
Review and select a member/owner share option:
Pay equity share in monthly installments, $25/mo. (+$1 processing fee/mo.)
Pay equity share in full, $250.00 (+ $10 processing fee)
Donate to low income member grant fund.
If you prefer, you can mail your check, payable to GRFCI to:
GRFCI c/o CNA
205 Carrier St. NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49505
GRFC Ownership share (paid in full)
GRFC Ownership Share (paid monthly)
GRFC Food For All Ownership Share (paid in full)
GRFC Food For All share installment (1 of 5)